Monday, April 23, 2012

A Port of a different sort

When I think of the word "port" I don't think of what we spent 7 hrs. having done today. I think of Cartegena, Columbia, Juneau, Alaska, Tallin Estonia (thank you Stacy) or any of the other exotic ports we were priviledge to visit while cruising.

Today a port took on a different meaning. We were to be at the hospital at 11:30am for the doctor to implant a "port" into Roy's upper chest. This is to give them access for the chemotherapy drugs that start Wednesday. The implant was to start at 1:00. I am learning there is "hospital time" and time that we consider the right time..or the time they tell us to be ready. By 2:00 I was getting a little anxious to have it done. As it turned out it didn't start until 3:30. They had the wrong port and if Roy hadn't tried to impress the doctor/nurses with the name of the port they wouldn't have known it. It would have been ok but while giving the drugs it would have been a slower process. So, anyway, it is in, we were only about 3 hours later than we thought. And, Roy did not umpire. For some unknown reason he thought he could umpire 2 ball games tonight. Go figure.

I ended up leaving the hospital to just get away. It was really cold in the hospital, so I was out in the car. By the 3rd phone call from the nurse telling me what had happened I'm pretty much wondering if I would ever be "in control" of my life. I stopped and listened (if you have heard Rick's sermon Sunday...) and plainly was told that God is in control and let Him lead me. He speaks if we are willing to listen.

We are still doing well. I did suggest we go to eat after church Sunday for a last meal before chemo. I don't know if his taste will change but it was a good excuse to eat Mexican food and me not have to cook. Had a friend over for barbeque Saturday night..now if I can just work in chicken fried steak tomorrow night after we watch Shay play ball. Any excuse to get out of cooking.

God is in control and is holding our hand.

Linda

5 comments:

  1. Letting go and "letting God" is always great advice. In y'all's case, it takes on a new dimension.

    Thanks for the eloquent words...we are praying hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear about Roy having cancer. We will be praying for all of you. If you need anything please let us know and we would be happy to help in anyway we can.

    Michael, Jackie and Blake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for creating this blog. Helps us to feel connected to you all. You continue to be in our prayers.
    Jen Holaday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still in constant prayer for you guys. I didn't know Roy was an umpire. Does he do softball or baseball? Billy, my husband has been an umpire now for almost 20 years. He does softball. Thanks again for the blog and keeping us all updated, just remember and keep reminding yourself through this entire process of what you said "God is in control".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, thank you for keeping us updated. I pray for comfort, strength and healing for Roy. I pray that God holds you in his hand and comforts you no matter what you must face. Your friends love you. Your faith will sustain you. Please read my emails to you if you have time.

    Vicki Edwards

    ReplyDelete